Prof. Lingaraja Gandhi,
Hon'ble Vice Chancellor of Bengaluru City University
Assumed charge as the 2nd Vice-Chancellor of Bengaluru City University (BCU), Bengaluru on 15th April 2021 in pursuance of the notification of Governor’s Secretariat No GS 05 BCU 2020, Raj Bhavan, Bengaluru dated 12-04-2021 is engaged at University level teaching, research and academic administration for the past 38 years. Professor of English, in University of Mysore commenced in the year 1987. Served as lecturer in Govt, Degree Colleges, Directorate Collegiate Education, Government of Karnataka from 1984 to 1987, and from 1983 to 1984 at JSS Arts, Science and Commerce College Chamarajanagar. In his 38 years of academic career served as lecturer, senior scale lecturer, reader, associate professor and professor of English abroad (2007-2010) in the University of IBB, Republic of Yemen. Twice served as UGC Visiting Fellow in IKS University, Khairagarh. Born on 14 November 1959 in a Hamlet, Hagaranahally mantikoppal, Hunsur Taluk, Mysore District, Karnataka had all his school and pre-university education in Govt Schools and in Kannada Medium all through having studied and obtaining, UG, PG and Ph D degrees from University of Mysore.
Areas of Specialization:
- Higher Education Commonwealth Literature
- Postcolonial Theory
- African Fiction
- Indian Writing in English
Following are brief accomplishments of Prof. Lingaraja Gandhi:
- Served as Registrar, Karnataka State Open University, Mysuru from 22nd January 2020 – till date.
- Served as Registrar, University of Mysore, Mysuru from 20th February 2019 to 7th September 2019.
- Served as Registrar (Evaluation), Bengaluru City University, Central College Campus,Bengaluru (2017-19). As the first Registrar, has introduced “E-Governance” and brought out Examination Manual – 2018
- Served as Director of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Board (PMEB) (2016-17),University of Mysore, Mysuru.
- Served as Director, UGC-Human Resource Development Centre, (formerly, UGC-Academic Staff College) University of Mysore, Mysuru, for four years (2012-2016).
- Served as Director, College Development Council (CDC), University of Mysore for five years (2011-16).
- Served as Nodal officer for RUSA, University of Mysore, Mysuru (2016-17).
- Served as Nodal Officer for University Ranking by NIRF, MHRD, Govt. of India ,New Delhi, The Week National Ranking Survey conducted by KSURF, Govt. of Karnataka.
- Served as Nodal Officer for University Review Commission, University of Mysore, Mysore (2017-18).
- Served overseas as Visiting Professor of English in the University of IBB, Republic of Yemen for three years from 2007 to 2010. Has made conferences presentations held in Stellenbosch University, South Africa, University of Kelaniya, Colombo, Sri Lanka and IBB University, Republic of Yemen, and has visited Stanford, USA.
- Served as UGC Visiting Fellow in the Department of English, IKS University, Khairagarh, India (in 2004 and 2005).
- Served as Course Co-ordinator in the Postgraduate Department of Studies and Research in English from 2003 to 2007 and from 2010 to 2011.
- Published a book, Connecting the Postcolonial (2006), College Development Council Handbook- 2012, co-authored a book, newspapers in the framework of space: Mysore’s Urban Press (1982) & more than 75 articles and interviews (in reputed national and international journals, periodicals from India and overseas).
- Made more than 50 National and International conference presentations held in India and abroad.
- Delivered more than 200 special/plenary lecturers as resource person in different universities and the UGC Academic staff Colleges across the country.
- Directed / Coordinated several international, national and regional conferences and workshops on Literature, Culture Studies and Higher Education. Directed more than 100 refresher courses, orientation programmes and short-term courses as Director of UGC-Academic Staff College, University of Mysore, Mysuru (2012-2016)
- Served as Chairman and Member of the Central Government, State Government and University Level Academic and Administrative Reforms and Affiliation and Autonomous Review Committees.
- Served as Member of Boards of Appointments (BOA’s), Selection Committees, Assessment Committees, Academic, Administration and Audit (AAA) committees of University, UGC, ICAR and State Government; as Chairman/Member of Boards of Studies (BOS), Boards of Examiners (BOE’s), Advisory Committees of UGC-Academic Staff Colleges.
- Served as Dean, Faculty of Arts, Bengaluru Central University (2018-2019)
- Served as Member-Secretary, University Syndicate, Member, Academic Council and Member, Finance Committee, University of Mysore, Mysuru from 20th February 2019 to 6th September 2019.
- Served as Member, University Syndicate, Member, Academic Council and Member, Finance Committee, Bengaluru Central University, Bengaluru from 11th August 2017 to 20th February 2019.
- Served as Member, Academic Council, Central University of Karnataka, Kalaburagi (2015-2018)